Loving dog owners do whatever they can to make sure that dogs are happy and healthy.  They’ll make sure that they get plenty of exercise, give them vitamins and joint supplements for dogs, and will make sure that they eat nutritious food.  It isn’t uncommon for some dog owners to reward their pets with some table scraps and leftovers after meals.  You may think that what you’re giving your dog is a treat, but you may be unknowingly giving your dog something that can make them sick.  It’s common knowledge that you should never give your dog chocolate or animal bones, but there are also other foods they can eat that can cause severe medical problems.  If you want to reward your dog with a treat, avoid giving them any of these foods.
 
Caffeine
 
Caffeine is harmless to humans, but large quantities of the substance can be fatal for dogs.  Keeping your dog away from coffee and tea is a good start, but you shouldn’t forget that other foods and drinks could contain enough caffeine to harm your dog. 
 
Avocados
 
Avocado may be delicious to you, but it it’s deadly for your dog.  Avocados contain a substance called persin.  Persin is completely harmless to humans), but large amounts can be toxic to dogs.  If you’re growing avocados at home, make sure you create a barrier around them that your dog can’t reach.  Persin isn’t just in the avocado fruit; it’s located in the leaves, seeds, and bark of the plant as well.
 
Grapes and Raisins
 
Some people give grapes and raisins to their dogs because they think they’re a healthy treat, but both of these fruits can be very harmful to your dog.  People aren’t exactly sure why, but grapes and raisins have the ability to cause kidney failure in dogs.  Your dog doesn’t have to eat an entire box of raisins or a bushel of grapes to experience it, a small amount of either fruit can make your dog ill.
 
Dairy
 
Seeing a dog lick an ice cream cone may be cute, but dairy products can have some very unappealing side effects for your pet.  Ice cream, cheese, and any milk based product can give your dog diarrhea and cause other digestive problems.  They also have the potential to cause an allergic reaction, which may manifest as intense itchiness.
 
Products with Xylitol
 
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that’s commonly found in candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and diet foods.  Xylitol has the ability to cause an increase of insulin in their body, which can lead to a severe blood sugar drop that can cause liver failure.